Five Tips for Avoiders
You'd prefer it if difficult conversations would just go away rather than tackling them head on.
Well, we can help. Below you’ll find some top tips and content to help you prepare for these conversations so in the future you have a positive and productive outcome.
Five top tips
- Work at building good relationships with those you manage – this will make it easier for you to broach difficult topics when necessary
- Be aware that it is not about reprimanding people – it’s about working with them to find a win-win solution to the problem
- Be clear about the purpose of the conversation and what you need to achieve
- Think through in advance what you need to say and how you might approach the issues
- Be aware of how you feel about the individual and the issue to be discussed and work at learning to manage your emotions.
Find out more
Handling difficult conversations
Handling conflict situations
Leading from the middle
These are just some of the thousands of resources all CMI members have access to through ManagementDirect, our online management resource portal.
Not a CMI member?
Practical help whenever you need it; tools and techniques to save time and stress; new ways to enhance your professional reputation; qualifications that show the world you mean business - that's what CMI is all about.
And now, for a limited period, you can receive 20% off the membership fee. Just enter the promotional code DIFF in the payment section of the application form. Become a member now ►
Got a little longer?
Why not take a look at our range of short courses? Whatever stage you’re at in your career, our courses are designed to help you develop the skills needed to take you to the next level. View short courses ►