Head of Press & PR
- Salary: £50 - 55,000
- Type: Permanent
- Location: London
- Closing Date: 26/10/2020
(Home based initially during COVID then based in London)
First stage interviews will be held week commencing October 26th with second stage interviews week commencing November 2nd.
CMI has an exciting opportunity for a Head of Press & PR to lead CMI’s engagement with the media and develop a strategy to further build on our profile and reputation as the trusted authority on all aspects of management and leadership excellence.
You’ll be a self starter; looking to use your extensive contacts and experience to deliver regular quality coverage and create compelling content. The new Head will build a programme of media relations activity, sell in proactive and reactive news stories and reactive comments, and develop and maintain strong relationships with key journalists across all media outlets.
The role would be right for someone who has a strong understanding of the instant nature of PR and, in the current climate, how to harness the news agenda to promote our priorities, and ensure our voice is distinct in a crowded space.
Working closely with comms and content teams across the organisation you’ll establish priorities and identify appropriate channels as well working closely with the Social Media Manager to create a unified approach to our PR - constantly identifying opportunities and threats.
The new Head of Press and PR will be joining the CMI at a pivotal moment in our strategic development and the successful candidate should approach this exciting challenge with drive and energy; passionate about developing and delivering coverage that reflects our vision - to increase the number and standard of professionally qualified managers.
You will have considerable experience working in this field; whether gained in-house or agency, B2B, or perhaps working for a FTSE 250 company, or within the financial services, a professional body or similar, or in the worlds of politics and government. You will have excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong planning, and organisational skills as well as being adept at PR analytics.
- Develop and implement a PR and communications strategy that increases CMI’s profile and influence among key audiences
- Deliver press releases, media briefing documents, comments for media, stakeholder engagement programme.
- Developing strong relationships with key journalists across national papers and broadcast
- Work closely with Policy, Marketing, Research & Insights teams to deliver high quality content and materials to help achieve CMI’s broader strategic business priorities.
- Oversee media coverage monitoring and analysis, reporting at least monthly on PR performance levels against Key Performance Indicators.
- More broadly, in partnership with the Head of Policy & Public Affairs, you will lead a ‘quick response’ capacity for responding to media and public affairs issues that are underpinned by policy positions and oversee the preparation of agile briefs for senior staff on public and media engagements where necessary
- Management of budget and resources relating to Press & PR work
- Management of external PR agency to ensure they deliver quality coverage consistent with the objectives and KPIs you will lead in setting for them.
- Line Management of Media Relations Assistant
- Management of the out of hours media response operation
Who are we Looking for?
- Excellent knowledge of and experience in working with UK media and influencers, in particular relating to management and leadership issues.
- Experience in writing great press releases and articles for publication, understanding what makes good media and member communications effective.
- Ability to build strong relationships and work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
- An understanding of and ongoing interest in key economic and business trends that could support CMI PR and communications coverage.
- Experience of media handling, from managing queries through to overseeing TV and radio interviews. Ability to advise
- CMI spokespeople on key messages and recommended approach to any coverage.
- Ability to build credibility and trust with the CMI leadership team.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Self motivated with excellent organisational and planning skills with an agile and flexible approach as well as being adept at PR analytics
- Ability to work cross-functionally with multiple stakeholders.
- Strong influencing skills, ability to coach and advise others.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and within fixed budgets
Coming to work at CMI not only means joining a dynamic and ambitious organisation, it also means collaborating and sharing a passion for our mission. We know the importance of fresh ideas and encourage new perspectives. We are a not for profit, Sunday Times top 100 employer offering an engaging, flexible and collaborative culture with a wealth of opportunity for professional development. Not forgetting our dog friendly offices! Some of our competitive benefits include 32 1/2 days’ holiday, flexible approach to working, CMI membership, healthcare cash plan and stakeholder pension scheme to name a few!
As part of our recruitment process, we will share information relevant to your application, including your name, current role, CV and other data you may have provided us with, with internal hiring managers. We will use this data for the purpose of recruitment only. We may also access your publically available profiles (eg Linkedin) to support your application.Once the vacancy has been filled, your data will be retained for 4 weeks, after which your data will be destroyed, unless we contact you to request otherwise. By submitting an application for a vacancy with CMI you are agreeing for your data to be shared in this way.
For further information on this position, please find attached job description and person specification. If you would like to apply for this position, please send your CV and a covering letter containing your current salary and salary expectations via our secure file dropApply here