Base - This role would work well for someone who would like to work primarily from home, with some time in CMI’s Corby and London offices
Part Time - 3 days per week
Salary - Competitive
CMI has a fantastic opportunity for you as a part-time (3day p.w.) commercial lawyer within our Secretariat department, in a growing organisation that is truly making a difference to people’s futures. We’re looking for an experienced contracts lawyer, with a background in drafting and reviewing commercial contracts, with good knowledge of data protection laws and GDPR, to join our busy department.
As a mission-driven social enterprise with charitable status, it is imperative that our contracts do not expose the Institute to unnecessary risk and this role, alongside the Institute Secretary and COO&CFO, will play a critical part in ensuring this. You will report into our Institute Secretary, and be responsible for providing end to end legal support on our commercial contracting process including drafting, reviewing and providing easy to digest advice within CMI’s risk framework. You will work to ensure the smooth running of our contracts process, including liaising with legal teams at our university, training provider and employer partners, and ensure our contracts are legally compliant and appropriate for the parties involved. You will also review supplier contract to ensure CMI’s position is appropriately represented. Fostering two of our core values, progressive and practical, you will also look to regulate and continually improve on our contracting process.
Alongside looking after our contracts, you will also take a key role within our GDPR team, and manage our internal and external GDPR queries and manage our contracts database. You will manage and respond to subject access requests, review data protection clauses in client terms and supplier contracts and provide legal support on escalated queries and complaints alongside the rest of the GDPR team and our external DPO.
This is a part-time role, and would work well for someone who would like to work primarily from home, with some time in CMI’s Corby and London offices.
Your key relationships:
- Institute Secretary
- Sales Team
- Rest of GDPR team (including Head of Technology)
- External partners
- External lawyers
What will you be getting involved in:
- Reviewing, drafting and advising on commercial contracts, conveying all technical information in a clear, easy to digest way
- Reviewing legal documents and providing advice to colleagues across CMI on any potential legal issues
- Communicating with partners and external lawyers to negotiate commercial contracts
- Developing and implementing contracting processes
- Driving forward our GDPR and compliance obligations, taking the lead on all queries and action plans alongside our GDPR team
Who are we looking for?
- Someone who will live CMI’s values, professional, passionate, progressive and practical
- Qualified solicitor
- Broad commercial law experience including drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial agreements
- Excellent contract drafting skills with a sharp eye for detail
- Confident communicator to stakeholders of all levels, with the ability to disseminate technical legal advice in an easy to understand manner
- Someone who will work off initiative and look to continually improve our procedures, process, documentation and templates
- Commercial awareness with the ability to prioritise and make sound commercial judgements on contract issues and level of acceptable risk
- Strong knowledge and application experience of GDPR
- Enthusiastic and proactive with a creative, solution driven approach to problem solving
- A team player who will proactively take the lead on projects and initiatives outside of the normal workload
Nice to have
- Experience of working in the charitable sector
- Experience of Education
For further information on this position, please find attached job description and person specification. If you would like to apply for this position, please send your CV and a covering letter containing your current salary and salary expectations via our secure file drop