Base - Kingsway, London
Salary - Circa £55,000pa
CMI has a fantastic opportunity for you to use your expert PR, media and communications skills at an organisation that is truly making a difference to people’s futures. We’re looking for a media relations guru who has great contacts and is comfortable crafting newsworthy stories as well as proactive and reactive comments for national newspapers. You’ll work on interesting and agenda-setting campaigns, whilst also enjoying the benefits of flexible working.
Working closely with CMI’s CEO, Ann Francke, plus our Research & Insights, Policy, Marketing and Social Media teams, you’ll help create and promote high-profile CMI campaigns to the media, education, business and government. CMI campaigns on a wide range of topics such as skills, employability and apprenticeships; diversity and inclusion in the workplace and the role of business in society, as well as the range of CMI courses.
Under the strategic direction of our Executive Leadership Team, the Senior PR Manager will be responsible for a range of stakeholder engagement and external communications activities including but not limited to:
- Developing and implementing a PR and communications strategy that increases CMI’s profile and influence among key audiences including: further and higher education providers; businesses; current and potential CMI members; trade, national and regional media and Government.
- Positioning CMI as the authoritative voice of leaders and managers.
- Deliver press releases, media briefing documents, comments for media and stakeholder engagement programme.
- Manage CMI’s corporate communications, working closely with the CEO and Executive Leadership Team (ELT), to position them as leaders in their fields of expertise.
- Writing copy for press releases and reactive comments
- Managing our PR agency
- Managing and distributing comments/press releases to the press via Gorkana and personal contacts
- Identifying and hijacking news agendas with relevant CMI stories to amplify our voice.
- Working with our social media team to ensure content is integrated
Who are we looking for?
- You will have excellent knowledge of and experience in working with UK media and influencers, in particular relating to management and leadership issues.
- You will be an expert in writing engaging press releases and articles for publication, understanding what makes good media and member communications effective.
- Collaboration is part of our makeup at CMI, therefore the ability to build strong relationships and work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders is essential.
- You will have an understanding of, and an ongoing interest in, key economic and business trends that would support CMI PR and communications coverage.
- Experience of media handling, from managing queries through to overseeing TV and radio interviews. Ability to advise CMI spokespeople on key messages and recommended approach to any coverage.
- You will be highly self motivated with excellent organisational and planning skills with an agile and flexible approach.
If this sounds like your next opportunity, we would love to hear from you. Ideally we are looking for the successful applicant to start with us in April.
First interviews will be held remotely on 4th March and second interviews will be in our Holborn office, week commencing 11th March.
For further information on this position, please find attached job description and person specification. If you would like to apply for this position, please send your CV and a covering letter containing your current salary and salary expectations via our secure file drop