CMI requires members to make a commitment to their own professional development.
CPD is a self-owned and self-managed activity for which the individual is ultimately responsible.
CMI is not prescriptive as to the content or approach to CPD, or the effort an individual member puts into their CPD, but offers advice and practical support, not least through the provision of an online CPD system.
There are no specific requirements relating to points or hours of CPD or numbers of learning interventions, for Chartered, or other, membership grades.
Part of taking responsibility for one’s own CPD is to make judgments about the most effective ways of developing – in the light, for example, of role and career development demands - and how much time or effort needs to be invested.
In order to be effective CPD should be:
- Continuous and lifelong – CMI expects all members to refresh and extend their learning throughout their careers.
- Based on a cycle of reflection, planning, action and evaluation – though not every learning experience will involve every stage of the cycle. CMI expects all members to be reflective practitioners.
- Personalised – CMI expects all members to use their professional judgment in undertaking CPD that responds to their development needs in the context of their role or roles.
- Multi-faceted – CMI expects all members to undertake a mix of CPD activities over time, which can embrace various types of formal and informal/experiential learning.
- Evidenced – CMI expects all members to maintain records of on going CPD.
- Focused on impact – CMI expects all members, in their CPD recording, to evidence growth and development of capability and impact as a result of CPD activities.
Chartered Manager status (CMgr), as the ultimate recognition of a professional manager, brings with it a particular responsibility for the individual to maintain and develop competency as a professional manager. All Chartered Members and Chartered Fellows are expected to not only maintain on going records of their CPD activities but for these to also be available for inspection as part of our sampling process.