Delivering Success for WalesTuesday 30 November 2021
The economy in Wales depends on world class management and leadership
High quality leadership will be essential to deliver the Welsh Government’s growth plans and to ensure that everyone, no matter what background, is able to achieve their potential in work.
However, in Wales there is a ‘double-lock’ challenge in developing these skills and capabilities: the over representation of micro businesses, and the limited availability and accessibility of management training. This is probably why Wales is having one of the lowest productivity rates in the UK, according to the latest ONS data.
If Wales is to avoid a long period of stagnation it needs to boost management and leadership skills and capabilities - and do it fast. CMI, with our Welsh Board - CMI Cymru, published its Manifesto for Wales with 10 calls to action for the Welsh Government to prioritise investment in management and leadership skills.
The main asks of the Welsh Government are to:
- Invest in leadership initiatives in line with the principles outlined in the 2021 CMI Comprehensive Spending Review
- Increase the provision of management and leadership training across Wales
- Support micro businesses to scale up by investing in their management and leadership capability
- Include entrepreneurial thinking as part of the standards for leadership in Wales
- For Welsh politicians to lead from the top, complete relevant leadership training, and clarify ownership of the leadership agenda within the Welsh Government structure.
The Manifesto will be launched at the CMI Wales event in Cardiff on 1 December 2021.
You might also like these posts on this topic:
Don’t miss out - get notified of new content
Sign-up to become a Friend of CMI to recieve our free newsletter for a regular round-up of our latest insight and guidance.
CMI members always see more. For the widest selection of content, including CPD tools and multimedia resources, check out how to get involved with CMI membership.
CMI's policy submissions to Government departments complement our ongoing engagement with policy makers and support our aim of keeping management and leadership at the forefront of the public policy agenda.
Members See More
CMI Members have access to thousands of online learning and CPD resources. Learn more about our membership benefits
Join The Community
CMI offers a variety of flexible membership solutions, tailored to your needs. Find out more and get involved in the CMI community today.