CMI’s Submission to the 2021 Comprehensive Spending ReviewFriday 01 October 2021
Good management underpins our society and economy, but there is a market failure when it comes to developing this all-important management capability: without incentives, businesses simply do not invest in management training. As a result, the UK has a chronic gap between the management skills required by employers and the management capability of the workforce.
To close this gap, management and leadership skills must be regarded as essential spending, if the Government is serious about levelling up all parts of the UK. This is also crucial spending to build an economy that enables people and places to thrive.
CMI is urging the Government to prioritise investment in management and leadership skills through the Spending Review.
Our main asks of the Government are to:
- Guarantee current expenditure on higher education.
- Ensure apprenticeships funding is protected - including at degree level.
- Embed good management by:
- building management development into education, training, and business, innovation and sector policies in a systematic way
- bolt on “core four” skills (communication, problem solving, team working and digital skills) for all Government training provision, and
- a new requirement for Government procurement bids to demonstrate commitment to management and leadership development.
You might also like these posts on this topic:
Don’t miss out - get notified of new content
Sign-up to become a Friend of CMI to recieve our free newsletter for a regular round-up of our latest insight and guidance.
CMI members always see more. For the widest selection of content, including CPD tools and multimedia resources, check out how to get involved with CMI membership.
CMI's policy submissions to Government departments complement our ongoing engagement with policy makers and support our aim of keeping management and leadership at the forefront of the public policy agenda.
Members See More
CMI Members have access to thousands of online learning and CPD resources. Learn more about our membership benefits
Join The Community
CMI offers a variety of flexible membership solutions, tailored to your needs. Find out more and get involved in the CMI community today.