How to Practice Safe Consulting (POSTPONED)
Start Date: 14 Apr 2020
Start Time: 6:30 PM
End Time: 9:30 PM
Duration: 3 hours
Venue: BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, 25 Copthall Avenue, Moorgate, London, EC2R 7BP › View map
This is a joint event between Institute of Consulting LSE and British Computer Society Consultancy Specialist Group.
You’re an expert in your field – but what else do you need to do to make it a safe and successful business? In this session we will discuss the things you should be thinking about, whether you’re a sole practitioner or a global business.
Be safe, be successful!
- Only pursue worthwhile opportunities – then win the work
- How to charge for your services – pricing, employment contract, time & materials, fixed price, capped fees, success fees, stage payments, expenses, overtime, travelling time
- Understand your risks and liabilities, price them into the deal and have the right insurance
- Avoid snags: conflicts of interest, regulatory requirements, intellectual property, data protection, confidentiality/non-disclosure, termination, IR35
- Sound, agreed contract - what should and shouldn’t you say in a contract?
- Run it as a business: accountants, tax, VAT, insurances, equipment, web, social media, email
- Good, professional relationships with your clients and co-workers
- Be ethical, professional and on your best behaviour
- KYC / AML / STF / ABC / Bribery Act / don’t go to jail
- Evidence for deliverables, changes, snags, signoffs, correspondence, etc
- Get paid – agree timesheets, signoffs and charges / do timely invoices and chase payment
- Agree a reference and case study before you leave then keep up those good relationships
- Learn lessons, retain knowledge and store away legitimate materials for next time
Questions about this event should be addressed to CMI Events at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 01536 207485.