CMI Highlights – 15 NovemberWednesday 15 November 2023
CMI’s research on the impact of good and bad management – Management Takes Responsibility – continues to drive discussion across the world.
Referencing the report’s findings, Grazia magazine shared the personal experience of a marketing professional who resigned from her job due to a toxic work environment; Gulf News explored how we can leverage the capabilities of AI to foster great leadership; and FastCompany delved into how a lack of training is widening the gap between management and leadership.
Management takes responsibility
The CMI team has been on other platforms:
- At the Institute for Government conference, CMI’s CEO, Ann Francke OBE, participated in a panel discussion around what makes a good minister, discussing the notion that government ministers need to cultivate self-awareness. Watch the sessions back here and find out more here.
- Speaking at the Benefits Expert Summit, CMI’s policy and innovation manager, Hamish Shah, highlighted crucial aspects of the modern workplace, such as the lack of formal management training, the productivity advantages of EDI, and the significance of effective management and trust in hybrid and remote work settings. Learn more here.
CMI and the Work Foundation estimate that 6.2 million people in the UK are in what can be defined as “severely insecure jobs.” Our new report found that many of these people feel they must compromise security to get the flexibility they need.
If this is an issue you feel strongly about, we’d love to hear your thoughts. Please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10,000 new apprentices!
Ofqual has released its first-ever apprenticeship assessment statistics, revealing that CMI delivered more than 10,000 End Point Assessments in the year to February 2023! There’s more about CMI’s apprenticeship offer here.
CMI continues to make the case for adjustments to the Apprenticeship Levy to better suit employer needs. Daisy Hooper, CMI’s head of policy and innovation, published a piece in FE News emphasising the need for more flexibility, as well as a clear definition of what flexibility really means. Learn more here.
CMI has also been busy engaging with students in the Midlands to build their career confidence. A CMI team visited students at Nottingham Business School, while Anthony Painter and Daisy Hooper led a session at Coventry University focused on CMI’s “Everyone Economy” campaign.
What makes a good NHS manager?
CMI also continues to advocate for better management across the public sector. Anthony Painter joined the National Health Executive podcast to discuss CMI’s report, A picture of health? Listen back here.
This week, CMI Insights zooms in on personal development:
- Meet two more CMgr of the Year nominees: Harish Kathiresan and Victoria Carr (Winner TBA next week at CMI’s President’s Dinner!)
- Discover the value of collective coaching
- Flavia Popescu CMgr explains how flexibility and visibility help women in the STEM industries
- Caroline Pearson CMgr reveals seven things that working with animals taught her about managing people
- Greig Rooney CMgr and Jeanette Rigby CMgr at Valneva UK on how investing in the company’s development was the miracle cure
Finally, the CMI team recently touched back down in the UK after a brilliant trip to our local chapters in the Asia-Pacific region. Don’t miss Ann Francke OBE’s top five takeaways from the trip here.
You might also like these posts on this topic:
Don’t miss out - get notified of new content
Sign-up to become a Friend of CMI to recieve our free newsletter for a regular round-up of our latest insight and guidance.
CMI members always see more. For the widest selection of content, including CPD tools and multimedia resources, check out how to get involved with CMI membership.
Our extensive range of articles are designed to keep you in the loop with all the latest management and leadership best practice, research and news.
Members See More
CMI Members have access to thousands of online learning and CPD resources. Learn more about our membership benefits
Join The Community
CMI offers a variety of flexible membership solutions, tailored to your needs. Find out more and get involved in the CMI community today.